How to apply
We have 5 clinical PhD places to offer per year. The programme is split into two stages:
- Involves the selection of approximately 20 aspiring clinical academics to participate in a lead-in phase whilst remaining in their current post. Normal clinical training will continue.
- Applicants will be invited to submit a structured CV demonstrating a clear commitment to building a clinical academic career based on their achievements and outputs in addition to their vision for how a Wellcome funded Clinical PhD fellowship will support their ambitions to become a senior clinical academic in their letter of intent.
- The successful group of 20 will work with leading researchers from a pool of supervisors across the four institutions to put together a stage 2 application for one of the 5 PhD places commencing Aug-Oct each year.
- Open to applicants shortlisted in stage 1.
- Applications for fellowships will be judged on the quality of the proposals submitted; the importance of the research question, its novelty and its translational impact. The science is expected to be of an excellent quality and the training offered to be first class.
Applicants should consider the range of expertise available across the 4 Universities involved in the Academy and attempt to maximise the opportunity that this provides in developing their project and their supervisory team.
How do I apply?
Our scheme is unique in that we want to help more than the 5 people who are awarded our Wellcome Clinical PhD Fellowships. Our application process is therefore split into two phases.
Stage 1: Recruitment of 4Ward North Academy Cohort of Trainees
Deadline: 11th November 2020
- 20 applicants will be selected based on their CV and short vision statement of why they want to undertake doctoral research training.
- Once selected, the 20 trainees will work-up a cutting-edge PhD proposal with our pool of leading supervisors who, along with the Academy Directors, will advise and guide them on building a project culminating in an application to Stage 2.
Stage 2: Wellcome Clinical PhD Fellows
Deadline: 12th February 2021
- All of our shortlisted trainees from Stage 1 will submit an application for one of our five available Wellcome Clinical PhD Fellowships . Approximately 10 candidates will be shortlisted for interview. Successful fellows will start their PhD programme between 1st August - 1st October 2021.
- All trainees successful at Stage 1 are invited to a training event on w/c 7th December 2020 (possibly via zoom tbc)
- Applicants shortlisted in Stage 2 will be invited to an interview on w/c 26th April 2021.
Those successful at Stage 1 but not Stage 2 will be supported and mentored through the application process to other funders. The Academy can support all clinical specialties across the breadth of the 4 Universities.
Stage 1 Application Form is available here.
Stage 2 Application Form is available here.
Guidance for Applicants for both stage 1 and 2 is available here.
Please send completed application forms to N4@manchester.ac.uk. All applications should be in PDF format.