4Ward North programme
Who are we?
The Universities of Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle and Sheffield have come together to set up the ‘The 4ward North PhD Academy for Health Professionals’ to raise the quality of clinical academic research training in northern England.
25 PhD fellowships will be funded as part of the Academy over 5 years. Each individual PhD will be hosted by one of our four institutions.
The Academy will work in collaboration with the Francis Crick Institute (FCI) in London, The Alan Turing Institute and the Nuffield Research Placements (NRP) Programme to optimise training opportunities.
What do we offer?
Those who secure a place on the PhD programme will become ‘4Ward North PhD fellows’, a prestigious marker of esteem for a future career combining research with clinical practice. This award replaces the legacy Wellcome Clinical PhD funding stream, i.e. salary + pension contributions, project running costs and an annual training allowance.
Those successful in securing a fellowship from the Academy will receive:
- A training programme with leading clinical academics and bespoke mentoring;
- A personalised training plan with one of the Programme Directors;
- An opportunity to compete for our ‘Leading Scholars’ Programme’ in collaboration with the FCI which offers 12-months research support immediately after the PhD to pump-prime postdoctoral clinical career development applications;
- A key skills development opportunity by supervising and mentoring NRP students.
Those who are shortlisted but are not successful in securing a fellowship from the Academy will receive:
- Help in building their project.
- Guidance, advice and mentorship through the application process for an equivalent research training award from other funders, such as the MRC, NIHR.
Nuffield Research Placements (NRP)
Supported by the Nuffield Foundation and UKRI, NRPs provide real-life research placement opportunities to 1,000 Year 12 (16–17-year-olds) students from low socio-economic and/or first in family backgrounds from across the UK to support their progression to STEM further study or employment.
During the second and/or third year, successful 4Ward North PhD Academy fellows will become placement providers and supervise one or more students for 2-3 weeks over the summer.
As placement providers, fellows will:
- Receive full training and support from a local NRP regional coordinator to understand programme requirements and expectations;
- Develop key mentoring, coaching and management skills;
- Take advantage of valuable assistance with project work;
- Help inspire the next generation of STEM researchers.
Please find a PDF leaflet with more information here. There is also further information on the Nuffield Research Placements website and regular communications will be provided throughout the fellowship.