We have 5 clinical PhD places to offer per year. The programme is split into two stages:
- Involves the selection of approximately 20 aspiring clinical academics to participate in a lead-in phase whilst remaining in their current post. Normal clinical training will continue.
- Applicants will be invited to submit a structured CV demonstrating a clear commitment to building a clinical academic career based on their achievements and outputs in addition to their vision for how a Wellcome funded Clinical PhD fellowship will support their ambitions to become a senior clinical academic in their letter of intent.
- The successful group of 20 will work with leading researchers from a pool of supervisors across the four institutions to put together a stage 2 application for one of the 5 PhD places commencing Aug-Oct each year.
- Open to applicants shortlisted in stage 1.
- Applications for fellowships will be judged on the quality of the proposals submitted; the importance of the research question, its novelty and its translational impact. The science is expected to be of an excellent quality and the training offered to be first class.
Applicants should consider the range of expertise available across the 4 Universities involved in the Academy and attempt to maximise the opportunity that this provides in developing their project and their supervisory team.